When I was little, my grandfather used to make this delicious broccoli cheddar casserole. It was the ultimate comfort food and so, so tasty. Since my family isn’t big on casseroles (what’s up with that?!), I’ve tried to find some ways to bring that comfort food deliciousness into other dishes. Because, let’s face it, comfort food is perfect for when I’m stressed, or it’s cold out and all I want to do is snuggle in for the night.
My go-to soup (that’s in no way low in calories) is this Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe.
It has all of the tastiness that makes it comfort food and I’m able to double the recipe to make enough to freeze for later. I freeze it in individual containers and then take them out in the morning for lunch or dinner. The soup is perfect for a cold night or a snowy afternoon!
You can reduce some of the calories and fat by swapping out Whole Milk for Fat Free Milk and using Low-Fat Cheddar Cheese instead of the other varieties. I also like to use homemade chicken broth versus buying it. So, look for little ways to make it more tasty and fit your dietary needs. However you make it, enjoy!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
1 lb Broccoli
2 Large Carrots, shredded
1 Sweet Onion, diced
1 lb Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1 cup Butter
60 oz Chicken Broth
1 cup Milk
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 cup Water
1. Cut broccoli into 1 inch chunks and boil until tender but not mushy. Drain and set aside.
2. Place the diced onion and butter in a large pot on medium heat and cook until translucent.
3. Add the broth and milk to the onion and butter mix.
4. Stirring constantly, slowly add the cheese. Continue stirring until all of the cheese has melted.
5. Add the broccoli and shredded carrot to the cheese mixture.
6. Pour 1 cup of cold water and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch into a glass measuring cup. Mix thoroughly. Add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch at a time until mixture is thick, but still liquid. Slowly pour this mixture into your hot soup, stirring constantly. Add just enough cornstarch mixture until soup has reached the desired consistency.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Cook soup for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Garnish soup with extra cheese. Served with toasted bread or homemade croutons.